We understand the importance of trust and competence when it comes to legal representation. If you believe that you or your company has suffered damages as a result of an attorney’s malpractice or breach of fiduciary duty, our attorneys are here to help you seek the justice you deserve.
Professionals such as lawyers, CPAs, engineers, architects, and surveyors have a duty to act reasonably according the standards of practice in their respective fields. Our firm has handled many multi-million dollar claims against professionals and defended them as well. Very few firms have handled legal malpractice claims on both sides of the docket, and that experience gives the lawyers at Burdine Wynne a unique understanding of how both sides think and operate. Burdine Wynne knows how to leverage every aspect of a professional liability claim to the client’s advantage whether a plaintiff or defendant. For example, David Wynne successfully prosecuted a significant legal malpractice claim against two law firms that spoliated critical evidence after a vehicle rollover resulted in a client’s traumatic brain injuries. He also recently recovered a confidential settlement for a private equity firm against a prominent New York law firm that failed to adequately investigate critical underlying legal risks in a business transaction worth over $100 million. Burdine Wynne has also defended numerous well-respected law firms against groundless malpractice claims. We are well versed in the most recent state and federal law regarding the proper elements of a legal malpractice claim and related defenses.
Not every mistaken tactical decision or legal opinion constitutes negligence, much less breach of fiduciary duty, but if a law firm or lawyer has failed to act in accordance with legal industry rules, customs, and practices, perhaps including the heightened standards applicable to an attorney who is board-certified, a viable claim for legal malpractice may exist. Malpractice claims sometimes result from missing deadlines, failing to properly investigate claims, omitting claims or defenses, mishandling client funds, conflicts of interest, or failing to adequately communicate with clients. Burdine Wynne has experience handling all aspects of significant, complex legal malpractice claims.
We Have a Proven Track Record Handling High Stakes Legal Malpractice Cases
- Represented Plaintiff on multi-million dollar claims of alleged legal malpractice for Defendants alleged failure to identify and timely pursue products liability claims arising out of an automobile collision involving a vehicle rollover.
- Represented Plaintiffs on multi-million dollar claims against a probate lawyer and Merrill Lynch arising out of estate planning advice and related trust and insurance structuring.
- Represented a major Houston law firm in eight separate legal malpractice cases brought in the aggregate by several hundred investors in a group of entities that the Houston law firm had represented. The claims exceeded $100 million. The firm successfully moved to consolidate several of the cases administratively and then removed all the cases to federal court where a settlement was achieved without cost to the clients. The firm also represented the law firm in a related declaratory judgment action by which its insurer sought to avoid coverage.
- Represented Plaintiffs in cases involving widespread barratry violations by Texas Law Shield, a firearms legal defense firm that wrongfully solicited prospective clients in person and paid others to solicit prospective clients (including salaries to salesman and kickbacks to CHL instructors).
- Obtained successful settlement through confidential arbitration against prominent New York-based, large law firm regarding its failure to investigate critical legal risks surrounding a private equity transaction involving a renewable energy project in California.
- Defended prominent personal injury law firm against claim that its lawyers failed to sue the correct party. Upon review of the file, assessing the applicable law and facts, and thoroughly responding to the Plaintiff’s demand, Plaintiff dropped the claim without any payment.
Other professional liability suits the firm has successfully handled include claims against engineers, accountants, financial advisers, land surveyors, and oil and gas operators.
Burdine Wynne Is Selective When Considering Legal Malpractice Representation
Our firm is highly selective regarding the types of legal malpractice cases that we handle. We are not a high volume operation that churns through numerous cases. We are very careful when deciding where to focus our time and resources so each client knows they will receive responsive, thorough representation. Cases must meet the firms’ risk profile. Therefore, if you intend for the firm to consider handling your legal malpractice case on a contingent fee basis and advance all costs for the case, the estimated damages must be sufficiently high to satisfy the firm’s selection criteria, which typically requires such damages to exceed $1.5 million.
If you have been the victim of legal malpractice involving estimated damages over $1.5 million or are a law firm facing a groundless claim, contact our firm for a confidential consultation. We are deeply experienced in this area of the law and well prepared to assess the viability of the case at its earliest stages. We look forward to guiding you or your company through these types of cases, devoting our time and attention to every critical detail, and will do everything possible to you get the justice you deserve.